1) When it's 107 degrees in Dallas for months, I can immediately be transported for a few heavenly hours to a crisp New York autumn.
2) Creative gift ideas. I have given a "bouquet of newly sharpened pencils" as a fun little gift to several friends since this movie. Who doesn't want to receive one of those? "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me wanna buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." - Joe Fox.
3) Café Lalo - one of the most charming little cafés in New York. Nothing like sitting by the open casement windows there, sipping a warm latté on a mild October day. My friend Suz and I have done it multiple times.
4) The scene where Kathleen Kelly is shopping for groceries at Zabar's on Thanksgiving. I don't know what's better...Rose the cashier and her broken English, "Get-in-anotha-line." Or awnery HAYN-ry who is behind Kathleen in line. "So SIGN already! I'll hardly get home in time to watch the Thanksgiving parade!"
5) The fabulous Parker Posey. Quirky, exotically beautiful, and the perfect dry humor.
6) Their ancient Mac computers and Instant Messenger. Don't you miss those simpler times before our lives were taken over with things like Facebook and Twitter? I actually remember getting in AOL chat rooms in college. HA!
7) From a pier on the Hudson River, Joe Fox and the kids wave hello to New Jersey, my homeland.
8) The "George" character. "This place is a TOMB! I'm going to the Nut Shop where it's fun."
9) Christmas in New York. Period.
10) How can I not mention Meg Ryan's choppy pixie haircut? If I could pull off short hair, I would rock that hair style like it's 1998.
This movie just makes me happy no matter when I watch it, at any time of year. And I'll never tire of it, never.