Lately, I've gotta have a green smoothie first thing in the morning. It's so energizing! Some people have asked for my "perfect green smoothie" recipe. It's not a science, and it changes slightly each time depending on what I have in the 'ole fridge. But here's what I usually do...
In a strong blender or Vitamix, add:
- Juice of 1-2 oranges or 1 large grapefruit
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1-2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- Large handful of spinach leaves, romaine lettuce leaves, or any leafy green. I prefer spinach, romaine lettuce, or chard. Beet greens or kale are also great!
- 4-5 ice cubes, or you could use a bit of frozen fruit such as banana.
- 1 raw egg - don't worry, you won't taste it! It will make the smoothie super creamy. Do this at your own risk as some people say you should not consume raw eggs. Personally, I don't have a problem with it as long as the eggs are from a local, pastured chicken, and you know the source.
- Good sprinkle of cinnamon
- 2-3 drops Vanilla Creme Stevia, or 1-2 Tbs honey
- Small piece of peeled fresh ginger (about the size of your thumb), or sprinkle of dried ginger - gives it a little zing.
Then turn your blender on low as it starts to break everything up, then gradually move it up to high. I like to leave it on high until it gets super frothy. Yum.
Pour into a glass and enjoy the green goodness!
A few more tips:
- Always add the liquid first, then the solid ingredients. Makes it much easier to blend, especially if you don't have a Vitamix. If you need more liquid, you can always add a little filtered water.
- Sometimes I add bee pollen or a couple drops of Vitamin D-3 before blending. You could also sprinkle in some probiotic or break up a Multi-Vitamin capsule and add it to your smoothie.
- Whenever I have fruit that's super ripe that I won't be able to eat in time, I cut it into pieces, freeze it on a cookie sheet, then transfer it to a container in the freezer to use later for smoothies. If you don't freeze the pieces individually first, they will all stick together in the container. Not the end of the world, but I'm all about the easiest, fastest way to make a smoothie first thing in the morning!
There you have it! I'd love to hear YOUR green smoothie recommendations and recipes!