Here's my new handy keychain from dōTerra that holds 8 small vials of essential oils for use on the go. I've been gradually soaking up the knowledge over the last year-and-a-half of how these oils can help me and my family. When I started using them, all I knew was that lavender made my bath water smell good, and now I'm carrying fennel in my purse. Ha! It's a journey.
So, here are the 8 oils I chose for my keychain:
- Lemon - There are a myriad of uses, but especially during this season it's great for congestion. If I rub some lemon (diluted with coconut oil) on the back of my neck and around my throat, it helps stop a stuffy or runny nose pretty quickly. I've been battling an allergy flare-up with this crazy wet fall weather. This morning I was at a friend's house, and she made me some hot tea. I was able to add a few drops of lemon oil to the tea to help soothe my throat.
- Clary Sage - This is just one of my favorite scents that always calms me. I figure if I'm having a hormonal day, I can inhale this or rub it on my wrists for some relief.
- Fennel - Ever since I was pregnant this last time, I'm sorry to say I can't take the smell of DigestZen oil. Instead, I use Fennel oil (which has a fresh scent, like a vegetable) diluted on the tummy for any digestive issues. Handy just in case we go to a restaurant where cheese accidentally jumps in my mouth.
- Purify - I used this oil much more in the summer because it's amazing to take the itch/sting out of bug bites and as a bug repellant. But it's also great to have on hand to clear the air and neutralize bad smells. You can add a few drops to a cotton ball and put it in the air vent of your car. This would be great if driving in an area with a lot of heavy exhaust smells - I hate that!
- OnGuard - This is an everyday oil. I use this all the time on the girls - I have it in a roller bottle diluted with coconut oil too, and I rub it on their feet before we're going to be around a lot of other kids. It helps protect against germs, so I feel like it's a little shield that I can have with me at all times.
- Lavender - What isn't lavender good for? For me, it opens up my sinuses, calms me, soothes cuts and burns, and so many more things I haven't discovered yet. Recently, I used it diluted on Norah's chapped upper lip and to soothe a burn on my finger.
- Melaleuca - This is what I would use to immediately disinfect a cut or to clean an area that's been exposed to something gross.
- Helichrysum - This is a miracle oil, I tell ya. It's pricy, but you get what you pay for. I was thankful to receive it for free with my bonus points from dōTerra. Several months ago, I partially shut my finger in the door of my car - yeah...OUCH. There was a puncture wound at the top of my pointer finger that was swelling quickly and turning purple from bleeding underneath, and thankfully, I happened to have a few drops of Helichrysum on hand. I put one drop on the wound, and I'm not kidding, this oil stopped the bleeding and actually reversed the bruising and swelling before my eyes. Amazing stuff. I also used this on a really bad face scrape my daughter got recently on her nose and under her lip. I didn't want it to scar, so I applied Helichrysum every night and let it scab over. I kept applying the oil, and the scabs came off neatly with perfect, unscarred skin underneath.
- Peppermint - This is another staple oil, but I'm nursing, and peppermint oil can affect milk production for some people. I didn't want to risk it so I'm avoiding this oil right now. This is also why I didn't include the Breathe blend, which I normally love.
- Cardamom - This is a new oil from dōTerra that is also helpful for respiratory issues, and I've been using it instead of Breathe.
- Balance - It's one of my all-time favorites, but I'm going to be totally honest...the only reason I didn't include it is that I've run out of Balance stickers, and I didn't want a handwritten sticker to "mess up" my keychain. Haha! Wow, I might need professional help.
~ ~ ~
What are your favorite essential oils to carry with you? I'd love to know!